Team Member Definition
- Team members have been accepted to an IMR team and paid a minimum of 50% of the required donation for that team.
- Specific flight information, departure information, and hotel information will only be provided to IMR team members.
- Team members on IMR trips may choose to fly on an IMR subsidized international ticket from a single point of departure in the United States or to fly “independently.”
- You will receive an itinerary and a departure packet with emergency phone numbers and customs documents approximately 10 days prior to departure.
Your Responsibility in Transit
- IMR reserves the right to schedule travel 24 hours prior to or after the published trip dates.
- IMR will begin hosting you all-inclusively once you are in country and have met up with the team at the designated location.
- IMR is not responsible for any costs incurred in transit or costs incurred due to flight delays or cancelations for any reason. We recommend you purchase travel insurance.
- You may want to have new United States currency and a credit card that you don’t typically use (in case of loss) available for common or unanticipated expenses.
- If you fail to meet the team a designated, any additional costs needed to join the team are at your expense. IMR will make every effort to help you join the team, but this may not be possible on every trip.
- Our trips frequently include additional transportation between the main arrival airport in-country and the starting point of the trip. If you are traveling independently, you are responsible to meet the team at the designated meeting place at your expense. You will be notified of these plans prior to the purchase of the subsidized tickets.
- Travel Insurance is highly recommended for all of our volunteers.
- It is your responsibility to choose and purchase this insurance, if desired. Read the policy carefully.
Flying on an IMR-Subsidized Ticket
- Subsidized tickets are individual tickets and not group tickets. While we attempt to keep our subsidized ticket holders together on the same flights, we do not guarantee that you will fly with other members of the team or with an IMR team leader or representative.
- We will not know the departure airport, dates, or times for the ticket until the subsidized ticket is confirmed between 13 and 11 weeks prior to departure.
- The subsidized travel choice includes an economical routing that may result in longer layovers and travel time.
- You will leave from a single point of departure in the United States. You are responsible for purchasing your round-trip ticket to the departure airport.
- You will have the option of declining or accepting the subsidized ticket prior to the purchase of the tickets.
- The routing is not customizable and you must fly the routing both ways.
- You are responsible for any costs incurred in transit outside of your international ticket until you have met the team in country and then again until you are home after the trip.
- IMR requires that you are at the airport a minimum of five hours ahead of your departure time to allow for schedule changes/cancellations and flight delays. This may require an overnight stay prior to departure. You will check in with other subsidized passengers three hours prior to your flight departure.
- If you miss this flight for any reason it will be your responsibility and financial obligation to meet up with the team.
- Your participation on the IMR subsidized flight is at a reduced rate and requires you to check IMR supply bags with necessary supplies and medications.
- You will receive one or two IMR supply bags to bring to the departure airport.
- You are required to bring the bag(s) to the departure airport and check in as a group with the other subsidized volunteers to check the IMR bags internationally. You are responsible for any domestic baggage or porter fees.
- You are responsible for bringing IRM supply bags back to the United States and returning the bag(s) to IMR via UPS.
- IMR will refund the cost of the UPS shipping upon receiving your receipt. Domestic baggage charges or porter feeds to your home airport are your responsibility.
- If you choose to check an additional personal bag, you are responsible for any charges incurred after the IMR bags have been checked.
- PLEASE SEE CHECKED and CARRY-ON BAGS below for additional information.
Flying Independently (Purchasing Your Own International Ticket):
- IMR offers you the opportunity to fly independently, which provides you with a reduced trip cost of $700 for trips to Africa and Asia and $300 for trips to South and Central America. You must choose the Independent option in your account.
- IMR will not know the exact dates of travel or arrival and departure information until 13 to 11 weeks prior to departure when the subsidized tickets are purchased.
- We encourage you to extend your stay to see the wonders of the country around you. The world is a truly amazing place to visit!
- If you want to fly directly from your home city to the international arrival city, fly independently. This can save valuable time and money because you don’t have to meet the team at a specific airport in the United States.
- You can choose your flight times, airline, and cabin, and use your checked bag allowances for your personal gear and donations for your patients.
- Many of our volunteers arrange to take their outbound flight per the subsidized ticket routing and then return home on their own timetable.
- We recommend that you book your tickets at the same time as the IMR subsidized tickets are booked to be sure of the confirmed dates, times, and meeting points.
- Any costs incurred in transit are your responsibility, including, but not limited to, hotel, food, and taxi fees.
- IMR is not able to make your travel arrangements for you with this option, but we can help you with the arrangements.
- Airlines vary in their requirements and fees for checked and carry-on bags.
- IMR will keep you informed of the requirements on subsidized flights only.
- You are responsible for knowing the requirements on flights you book and for any fees associated with checked baggage on these flights.
- We recommend that you pack as much of your personal gear as possible in your carry-on bag.
- Checked bags are frequently lost and you may not be able to replace your personal clothes and other items due to time constraints upon arrival. Lost bags are frequently never found or arrive after the team has returned home.
- We hope that you will want to save your checked bag allowance for needed medical and community health education supplies for your patients.